Saturday, May 9, 2009

Melbourne & Beaches Music Half Marathon 2/8/09

Sunday, Feb 8, 2009
Melbourne & Beaches Music Half Marathon *3rd Half* [Done! 2:14:28 pace-10:16]

I ran the Melbourne half today with my dear friend Jeanine and we ROCKED. My inlaws were there before the race to wish us well. That was so TOTALLY sweet of them to come out!!! We didn't make any PRs, but we had a great time and we finished in the top half of our age group! I cannot say enough about how well coordinated this race was...It was fabulous! AND this was the inaugural year, we expected some learning curves....if there were any, you wouldn't know it by running it. Everything was perfect and beautiful. the waterstops were everywhere, Gatorade and water, there were a couple GU stops but I brought my own, the potties were everywhere, one at a time - every mile or two, there was never more than 1 person waiting and most of the time it was FREE (imagine that?) The police presence was awesome! there was an old rude man that pulled onto the race course and drove behind J & I for about a quarter mile. We still arent sure if he got taken to jail because he was yelling at the police officer and refused to get off the race course.

There were music groups set up about every 2 miles and at the start and finish lines. and the day was BEAUTIFUL - almost no wind, 52 degrees at start time (6:45am) and sunny. Not to mention the scenary was gorgeous! I stopped to potty and told jeanine to go on, it took me 2 MILES to catch her! But - I know you guys are all sitting around waiting to hear - NO EMERGENCIES FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!! YAY!!! ;)

We walked for 0.10 mi at the base of the 2nd causeway, but that's it, we ran up it and all the way to the end. I think our gun time was 2:14:?? so our chip time is about 2 minutes less than that, I forgot to stop my watch, J might know. two other people I know from the race said they thought it was difficult and neither of them made their goal either. I think maybe next time, we might try to conquer an "official" training plan because we will both probaby be out of commission for a little while, but it was SOOO worth it. If this becomes an annual event, you shouldn't miss next year's race, it was the best race I've seen so far!!!!

21 433 801 Chandra Claycomb 34 Palm Bay FL 2:14:28 10:16

No comments: