Friday, May 8, 2009

12Ks of Christmas Run *First over 5K Race, and scared to death!* 12/8/07

Saturday, December 8, 2007
12Ks of Christmas Run [Done! about 7.5 miles, pace around 9:23, I think]

I was so nervous for this race because I was NOT prepared. I have only ran 5 miles, ONCE at this point. 12K is nearly 7 ½ miles!!! Since I would be running for well over an hour, the fam decided to sit this one out. However, since its Christmas on the Coosa, my wonderful Sister and her whole family was there! Before the race Carson said – Aunt Chandra – You HAVE to RUN the whole way. You can’t walk but you can run slower if you have to. Jessica and John were there, I hung out with them for the most part. I also saw Dwayne and Drew … Jenny Hamilton was here too!

Once the race started, we headed up Company street, up a little hill and doubled back. I started feeling tired around mile 1.5, by the time I got to mile 3 I was seriously starting to wonder if I was insaine! The 5Kers were turning off to head to the finish line and I was... way less than halfway finished! How in the world was I going to make it 12K, I wished so bad that I had signed up for the 5! I ran on… over the bridge, around the park, down through the streets of downtown, past the schools, past Josh’s house – I wished soooo bad that he and boy would be out in the yard! (they weren’t of course, it was 8am!) Right after I passed Josh's house I reached mile 6…and I didn’t think I was going to make it – I knew how much further it was to get back to the starting line! It was here especially, when I couldn’t run any longer, I thought of what Carson said, I slowed down until I caught my breath and could pick back up – and I MADE IT!!! THANK YOU CARSON! I will use this little trick on all of my races in the future. **Check it out – less than 70 minutes for a 12K!!!

33
1:09:56
F
Chandra Claycomb

No comments: